- No more viewfinder illumination window
- New focus button
- No more frame selection lever
- New lens mount ring design with a new lens release button (new more clever design, changing from first design that was unchanged since M3).
- Lens code reader has a new more sophisticated curved design.
- Shutter mechanism mounted upside down.
Viewfinder Focus Wheel
- Better light reflection protection for the different mechanical parts
- Similar between two cameras
- Microphone on M
- No more step like on M9
Top plate – release button side
- New movie button
- You can verify here how the body is thicker on the back of the camera body by a small margin. Compare flash hot shoe
- Nice bigger screen
- Roll wheel moved to top left in an horizontal position
- info button now in the center of the selection pad
- New plug for digital viewfinder beneath flash hot shoe
- Live view button. Easy to take for play button after using M9 a few years
- Menu button is difficult to find at first
- Very different base plate
- Body base is made of one part, tripod mount is part of the body and not of the cover.
- Result is a VERY solid attachment to a tripod. Tested with a Noctilux attached on an ArcaSwiss Tripod head. Nothing to comparer with M9. Much better !
- Possibility to “open” base plate by taking away plastic part to give access to SD card without needing to unscrew base plate, especially design for tripod attached camera like at studio.
- The whole base plate attachment has been redesign in a more clever way.
- Cover opened state switch looks to be magnetic
- New socket for hand grip
- Huge battery with huge compartment
- Very nice round gasket on the case plate
- M9 base looks so retro when compared to the new M
- Same as X2
- Does not fit well with M body (was designed for Olympus body)